24 October 2006

A Tribute to my Father

The past month and a half has been really challenging for me. I received a frantic phone call from my mom a few weeks ago telling me that my dad had been rushed to the emergency room! I was unsure of what to do here in Boston... should I make arrangements to fly back to Kansas?... stay here and decide what to do in the morning?... or just continue life as normally as possible? This was a difficult decision primarily, because no one had any idea that my dad was feeling different than he normally did. About 1 a.m. Saturday morning, I decided to book my flight to Kansas and pack my bags. I thought I'd be away for a few days and come home, but I ended up staying in my home state for two and a half weeks. This was the longest I had taken off work, since my college years. But it was no vacation! My family and I spent endless hours in the hospital and slept in the waiting room... just occasionally going to my mother-in-law's to 'sleep over.' At the end of a twelve to thirteen day stretch, my dad's condition worsened tremendously, and he passed away... unexpectedly at the age of fifty years old. Needless to say, the reason I share this story here is because the majority of the artwork that has been created since those painstaking days has been very emotive in nature.

Scribbles--Sketches 08
Size: 8.5" x 11"
Medium: Pen & Ink on Paper
Date: 2006


Scribbles--Sketches 09
Size: 8.5" x 11"
Medium: Pen & Ink on Paper
Date: 2006
[SOLD]


Scribbles--Sketches 10
Size: 8.5" x 11"
Medium: Pen & Ink on Paper
Date: 2006


Scribbles--Sketches 11
Size: 8.5" x 11"
Medium: Pen & Ink on Paper
Date: 2006


Scribbles--Sketches 12
Size: 8.5" x 11"
Medium: Pen & Ink on Paper
Date: 2006


* The work listed above was created the day that I received that haunted phone call from my mom telling me that my dad was being rushed to the emergency room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Host your website with Dreamhost Join My Community at MyBloglog! Entertainment Blog Directory
Creative Commons License PayPal—eBay's service to make fast, easy, and secure payments for your eBay purchases!

Locations of visitors to this page
Related Posts with Thumbnails