17 January 2008

One Prof's Influence

Some professors and/or teachers tend to influence us more than others. Today, I began reflecting on some of the teachings my mentors, otherwise known as the most influential teachers I've had, shared with me. There are special places in my memory for each and every one of them, but the person who came to mind today was Kathleen Kuchar. I remember that she encouraged her students (including me) to have a quote of the day each and every day. This quote was supposed to be something that impacted our lives in some way, shape or form. I simply felt deeply encouraged when someone else would find meaning from the quote I shared that day.
Looking Past the Past, Kathleen Kuchar

Kathleen was my painting instructor while I attended Fort Hays State University, and she impacted the direction of my artistic endeavors today, whether she knows it or not. After I spent four years at school (mostly studying graphic design), I left Hays before graduating. In turn, I never really had much closure with my professors there. I wasn't too sure about completing my art degree (after four years of hard work), so I took a year off from any school. I did some serious growing up during that time period, and I believe I'm a stronger person today because of that time.
Quote of the DAY
All of this is mentioned simply because I have a quote for today, and I'd like to share it with you! I've been reading the book Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art by Madeline L'Engle, and I was especially impacted by this phrase today.
reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment

Host your website with Dreamhost Join My Community at MyBloglog! Entertainment Blog Directory
Creative Commons License PayPal—eBay's service to make fast, easy, and secure payments for your eBay purchases!

Locations of visitors to this page
Related Posts with Thumbnails