19 March 2008

Wisdom of a Child

I did a lot of drawing, reading, and listening to music during these past few days. I also observed everything around me with more intensity than usual. I was around a child for five days non-stop, and that time provided me with more interest in the minor things of life. I was truly provided with time to meditate, to think, to clear my mind.

Lonely Tree
Our lives are like islands in the sea, or like trees in the forest, which co-mingle their roots in the darkness underground. Just so, there is a continuum of cosmic consciousness, against which our individuality builds but accidental fences, and into which our several minds plunge as into a mother sea or reservoir.
-William James-
Invite Flowers -sketches-
My niece provided me with a glimpse at what child-like creativity is all about. Clearly, the simple things entertain and cause a four-month old to smile provide others with joy. Why do children have this gift? I believe it is because they have not had "fences" built up to guard them from fear... the fear of loss, death, hate, etc.

Flowering Tree
Children are not afraid to jump over the "accidental fences" and plunge into the deep waters of creation. I enjoy learning from a child's naive, yet fearless nature. I believe that artists, and others who create, should learn from a child... learn to not be afraid of the hurdles in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Host your website with Dreamhost Join My Community at MyBloglog! Entertainment Blog Directory
Creative Commons License PayPal—eBay's service to make fast, easy, and secure payments for your eBay purchases!

Locations of visitors to this page
Related Posts with Thumbnails